Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Headshot from hell

I'll get into detail about what makes a good headshot very soon, but I couldn't resist handing you this golden little nugget first:


This picture depresses me. I'm sure I don't really need to spell out why, but I'll tell you anyway.

  • Please don't look at me that way. Anybody looking to cast an evil gnome? I found him.
  • The Floater. Unless you want to look like the result of an underground lab experiment, avoid black turtlenecks against dark backgrounds. In fact, just avoid black turtlenecks altogether. They never did anybody any favors.
  • I think there's something in your eye. Get that hair out of your face, for Christ's sake.

  • I know what you've been doing. See those dark shadows? The ones right next to those gleaming white cheekbones? That's from too much fiddling with your photo editing software. I know you probably have wrinkles and a face full of pockmarks, but your audition won't come with a brightness and contrast button. So you might as well be up front about what you've got -- even if it's not so pretty.

0 Comments: